The Curry School alumni magazine invites you to share a story with other Curry alumni!
Winning entries of the most recent contest ending August 15, 2012, will be published in November in the fall 2012 issue of Curry Magazine Online.
One article in each of the following categories will be selected for publication in an online issue of the Curry Magazine.
Category 1: Informative. An informative article related to the alum’s profession that has the potential to be useful to a significant number of other Curry alumni.
Category 2: Nostalgic. A nostalgic essay describing fond memories of the Curry School experience.
Category 3: Experience of a New Professional (Recent Graduates Only). An engaging narrative describing a meaningful event or lesson learned as a new professional (author must have graduated from Curry within the past 5 years).
The article must be an original, unpublished work by an author who received an Education degree from the University of Virginia, including any undergraduate or graduate degree earned from the Curry School of Education.
- Article length should be at least 500 words and no longer than 1,500 words.
- Only articles addressing the three categories above will be considered. Please keep the tone of your submission personal and friendly, in keeping with the style of a typical leisure-reading publication.
- Submissions must be received by 5 p.m. EDST on August 15, 2012. All contestants will be notified of the contest outcomes by September 30. Each of the three winning articles will appear in the Fall 2012 online edition of the Curry alumni magazine.
- Authors will receive no payment for publication of the article but will retain all rights of republication.
- Authors may submit only one manuscript per category but may submit a manuscript to more than one category.
- Faculty and staff employed by the Curry School of Education are ineligible to participate in the contest.
- Winning entries will be selected by the Curry School Engagement Committee.
How to Submit Your Entry
- All articles must be submitted electronically via email. Manuscripts should be in the form of either a Word document or pdf, in Times New Roman or Arial font and either 10- or 12-point type size.
- Include a title at the beginning of the manuscript, but DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME anywhere in the manuscript file.
- Email your submission as an attachment to email@example.com with the words “Writing Contest” on the subject line. In the email message, please include the category to which you are submitting your manuscript (one category per manuscript), as well as your full name, address, telephone number, and Curry degree (including area of study and year). You will receive confirmation within 48 hours of receipt of your submission.
For additional information, email Lynn Bell, magazine editor and director of development communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org.