Jason T. Downer« Employee directory
Associate Professor of Education
Director of CASTL and Program Area Director for Clinical and School Psychology
- Ph.D., University of South Carolina-Columbia, 2003
- M.A., University of South Carolina, 2001
- B.A., University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, 1996
My primary research interests lie in identification and understanding of contextual and relational contributors to children’s early achievement and social-emotional learning from preschool-elementary. I have a keen interest in translating research-to-practice through development and evaluation of classroom-focused interventions with a particular eye toward understanding implementation issues. Specifically, I am involved in several research efforts to examine a video-based consultation approach to in-service professional development for teachers. In addition, my work focuses on the development of observational and survey measures to understand children’s early experiences in school.
Select Recent Publications
- Williford, A. P., Maier, M., Downer, J. T., Pianta, R. C., & Howes, C. (in press). Understanding how children’s engagement and teachers’ interactions combine to predict school readiness. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology.
- Downer, J. (2013). Applying lessons learned from evaluations of model early care and education programs to preparation for effective implementation at-scale. In T. Halle, I. Martinez-Beck, and A. Metz (Eds.), Applying implementation science to early care and education programs and systems: Exploring a new frontier (pp. 140-156). New York: Paul H. Brookes Publishing, Inc.
- McWayne, C., Downer, J., Campos, R., & Harris, R. (2013). Father involvement during early childhood and its association with children’s early learning: A meta-analysis. Early Education & Development, 24, 898-922.
- Downer, J. T., Lopez, M. L., Grimm, K., Hamagami, A., Pianta, R. C., & Howes, C. (2011). Observations of teacher-child interactions in classrooms serving Latinos and dual language learners: Applicability of the Classroom Assessment Scoring System in diverse settings. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 27, 21-32.
- Understanding the Power of Preschool for Kindergarten Success (P2K)
- Virginia Kindergarten Readiness Program
- Promoting Effective Teaching Methods by New Teachers: Good Behavior Game® + My Teaching Partner™
- Learning to Objectively Observe Kids (LOOK)
- National Center for Research on Early Childhood Education (NCRECE)
- National Center on Quality Teaching and Learning (NCQTL)
- Head Start Impact Study: Third Grade Follow up
- MyTeachingPartner: Geneva Head Start and Elementary Teachers
- Individualized Classroom Assessment Scoring System (inCLASS) Project
- Learning About Teacher-Student Interactions (LATSI)
- MyTeachingPartner: 4Rs Social-Emotional Learning Program
- Virginia Education Science Training (VEST) Predoctoral Fellowships
- Prof. Jason Downer Featured on NPR’s With Good Reason Program to Discuss Race in Preschool
- Curry Magazine Looks Back at a Decade of CASTL Research and its Impact
- Jason Downer Discusses Demands on Primary Schools in With Good Reason Interview
- Three Early Education Articles by CASTL Researches Make Ten-Most Cited List
- CASTL Faculty Contribute to Child and Family Blog on Quality of Classroom Interactions
- CASTL is Making Classrooms Better, From Child Care To Grad School
- Research Brief-Teachers’ Supports and Children’s Engagement: Testing for Bidirectional Associations
- CASTL Research Brief: Children’s Preschool Engagement and Development of Self-Regulation
- CASTL Research Brief: Predicting Acceptance of Diversity in Pre-Kindergarten Classrooms
- CASTL Research Brief: A Course on Effective Teacher-Child Interactions
- CASTL Research Brief: Variation in Children’s Classroom Engagement
- CASTL Research Brief: Measuring Teacher-Child Interactions in Linguistically Diverse PreK Classrooms
- CASTL Research Brief - Transition to Kindergarten
- CASTL Research Brief: The Feasibility of a Common Course in EC Teacher Preparation Programs
- Research Brief: Peer Effects on Preschool Children’s Language Development
- A Practitioner’s Guide to Conducting Classroom Observations
- CASTL Research Briefs - MTP