Kathy Neesen« Employee directory
Instructional Technology Director
- Ph.D, Instructional Technology, University of Virginia, 2008
- M.Ed., Instructional Technology, University of Virginia, 2004
- B.A., English and German, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1998
Coming to educational research from a background in web and interface design in the corporate world, the field of instructional technology has allowed me to blend my passion for clean and user-friendly interface design with my interest in how and why people learn best.
My research interests are educational game design, online learning, and user-interface design. I am particularly interested in learning how games can be designed to promote learning and creativity for children of all ages. I also enjoy working on ways to improve online learning so that it takes advantage of the interactive nature of the Internet. My motto: Learning should be fun, inspiring and effective, no matter what the topic may be.
Neesen, K. 2009. Exploring the Online Gaming Preferences of Pre-teen Girls. (Dissertation). University of Virginia, 209 pages.
Neesen, K., Kinzie, M., Whitaker, S., Kelley, M., Matera, M., Hall, A., Funk, G., Pianta, B.C., (2005, October). Collaborative Video Production Creating Web-based Video at Scale for Teacher Professional Development. Paper presented at the annual E-Learn conference, Vancouver.
Kinzie, M.B., Whitaker, S. D., Neesen, K., Kelley, M., Matera, M. & Pianta, R. C. (2006). Innovative web-based professional development for teachers of at-risk preschool children. Educational Technology & Society, Vol. 9, Issue 4, p. 194-204
Wu, Zhen., Cohoon, Joanne., Neesen, Kathy. (2006). Action and Intention: Considering the Relationship Between Educational Software and Gendered Career Interests. Paper presented at the 36th ASEE/IEEE Frontier in Education Conference. October, San Diego, CA.
- Games and learning
- Educational game design
- User interface design
- Online learning
- Web-based professional development
- New E3 School in Norfolk
- Virginia Preschool Initiative Plus (VPI+)
- Supporting Teacher To Enhance Math Practice (STEP)
- Effective Classroom Interactions Courses for Early Childhood Teachers
- Enhancing Toddler-Teacher Interactions
- Learning to Objectively Observe Kids (LOOK)
- Individualized Classroom Assessment Scoring System (inCLASS) Project
- MyTeachingPartner: 4Rs Social-Emotional Learning Program
- MyTeachingPartner - Mathematics/Science Curricula and Implementation Support System
- MyTeachingPartner - Secondary
- Effective Classroom Interactions – Development of Online Coursework
- CASTL Spearheads VPI+ Blog to Tackle Common Misconceptions About Preschool Instruction
- Video Highlight: ECI Coaching Helps Teachers Prepare for Joys and Challenges of Teaching Toddlers
- VKRP Launches New Website, Plans to Expands Assessment Program In Coming Year
- New VPI+ Website Gives Educators Quick Access to Free High-Quality Online Resources