Michelle D. Young« Employee directory
Professor; Executive Director of UCEA
- Ph.D., University of Texas - Austin, 1997
- M.Ed., University of Texas - Austin, 1993
- B.A., Southwestern University, 1989
Michelle D. Young, Ph.D., is the Executive Director of the University Council for Educational Administration (UCEA) and a Professor of Educational Leadership and Policy at the University of Virginia.
Dr. Young’s scholarship focuses on how university programs, educational policies and school leaders can support equitable and quality experiences for all students and adults who learn and work in schools. She is the recipient of the William J. Davis award for the most outstanding article published in a volume of the Educational Administration Quarterly. Her work has also been published in the Review of Educational Research, the Educational Researcher, the American Educational Research Journal, the Journal of School Leadership, the International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education, the Journal of Educational Administration and Leadership and Policy in Schools, among other publications. She recently edited, with Joseph Murphy, Gary Crow and Rod Ogawa, the first Handbook of Research on the Education of School Leaders.
The organization she leads, UCEA, is an international consortium of research institutions with master and doctoral level programs in educational leadership and administration. As Executive Director of UCEA, Young works with universities, practitioners, professional organizations and state and national leaders to improve the preparation and practice of school and school system leaders and to develop a dynamic base of knowledge on excellence in educational leadership. Young has been instrumental in increasing the focus of research on leadership preparation and to bring research to bear on the work of educational leadership faculty members and policy makers. She worked with several national organizations to develop the Joint Research Taskforce on Educational Leadership Preparation, developed and supported the work of the National Commission for the Advancement of Educational Leadership Preparation. She established the Journal of Research on Leadership Education for UCEA and was chief editor for the Handbook of Research on Leadership Education. Dr. Young serves on the Editorial Board of the Educational Administration Quarterly, Journal of Cases in Educational Leadership, Journal of Research on Leadership Education, Journal of School Public Relations, and Education and Urban Society. She recently completed a three-year term as the Chair of the National Policy Board for Educational Administration and a two-year term as Secretary for the American Educational Research Association’s – Division A.
- Nine UVA Education Faculty, 3 Alumni Named to Influential Scholars List
- Nine Curry Faculty Named in 2016 Edu-Scholar Rankings, 2 In The Top 20
- Ten U.Va. Education Scholars Make Public Influence Rankings for First Time
- Prof. Young Spearheading Effort to Revise National Educational Leadership, Preparation Standards
- Prof. Young Discusses Her Latest Work with AASA
- Prof. Young Delivers Keynote to Iowa Business Council
- Prof. Young Co-Authors Paper for the Council of Chief State School Officers
- Prof. Young Facilitating IES Webinar
- Prof. Young Paper Recognized with Literati Award for Excellence
- Prof. Young Featured in Wallace Foundation Webinar