APPLY (our 2015-2016 application will go live August 15):
Create an Application Account (a unique account is required for each application)
Log into an Application Account (to apply, check status, or view an admission decision)
Once you hit "submit," please wait at least 48 hours before contacting us about missing documents. Processing may take longer if you wait until the deadline to submit your application.)
- Master of Teaching (MT)—full-time master’s program approved by the Virginia Department of Education. Program completers earn a degree and qualify for licensure.
- Master of Education (MEd)—full or part-time programs for those interested in alternate routes to teacher licensure or masters programs in Curry's three departments of study.
- Education Specialist (EdS)—full or part-time programs
- Doctor of Education (EdD)—full or part-time programs
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)—full-time on-Grounds programs
Everything except test scores must be submitted through the application website. Monitor our receipt of materials by logging into the application web site. It generally takes at least 3 days for us to update your account, once we receive your data. If you think your account is incorrect, do not hesitate to contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Criteria for Admission to Degree Programs:
A complete application includes:
- A goal statement indicating why you are interested in a particular program of study,
- Recommendations (two required), solicited through the online application. (Be sure at least one is from a faculty member.)
- Official test scores sent by ETS to the University of Virginia (institutional code 5820).
- Transcripts--unofficial transcripts you upload to your application. (Official transcripts are not required until you accept an offer of admission.) If you have trouble scanning your unofficial transcripts to your application, you can mail them to the address at the bottom of this screen. Please note that transcripts in a language other than English must be translated by an evaluator who is a member of NACES. Once admitted, official transcripts can be mailed to Office of Admission and Student Services, 417 Emmet St. South, Charlottesville, VA 22903.
- A writing sample if required by the program area of interest. Check "Prerequisites and Admission Requirements" on the program area website. (Most doctoral programs require this component.)
GRE scores must be current (taken within the past five years.) Average GRE scores for students admitted for the 2013-2014 academic year are listed below.
- MEd, MT, EdS —at or above 60th percentile (verbal), 49th percentile (quantitative), 56th percentile (analytical writing)
- EdD/PhD—at or above 70th percentile (verbal), 57th percentile (quantitative), 80th percentile (analytical writing)
If your scores are low, we recommend you retake GREs before submitting your application. We will use your highest scores when making admission decisions.
Applicants to the MT (licensure) program must also submit qualifying test scores on ONE of the exams below. In addition to having the testing agency forward official scores, scan and email a copy of your scores to email@example.com, using "TED Scores" as the subject of your message. This will allow us to find your official scores more quickly.:
- PRAXIS I: 178 math, 178 reading, 176 writing or 532 composite score; OR
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Test: Reading (5712)--raw score 31, scaled score156, Writing (5722)--raw score 44, scaled score 162, Mathematics (5732)--raw score 29, scaled score 150; OR
- SATs taken prior to 4/1/95—score of 1000, with at least 450 verbal and 510 math; if taken after 4/1/95—score of 1100, with at least 530 verbal, 530 math ); OR
- ACTs: taken prior to 4/1/95—composite score of 21, with at least 21 in math and an ACT English Plus Reading Score no less than 37; if taken after 4/1/95—composite score of 24, with at least 22 math, 46 English Plus Reading score; OR
- VCLA: Reading and Writing as an optional assessment for the PRAXIS I reading and writing tests (writing subtest of 235, reading subtest of 235, composite score of 470) in combination with qualifying math scores from SATs, ACTs, PRAXIS I or the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators.
Language Requirement for International Students
A TOEFL or IELTS score must be current--no more than two years old. Official scores should be sent to the University of Virginia; the institutional code is 5820. (Applicants who earned their undergraduate degrees in the U.S. are exempt from this requirement.)
Paper-based TOEFL: 600
Computer-Based TOEFL: 250
IBT TOEFL: at least 22 in writing, 22 in speaking, 23 in reading, and 23 in listening for a total score of 90.
All incoming (new) graduate students whose first language is one other than English are required to take the University of Virginia English Language Proficiency Exam unless they have been exempted from TOEFL or IELTS.
Prospective graduate teaching assistants whose first language is one other than English are required to take the SPEAK Test. A score of at least 55 is required for permission to begin teaching without completion of oral language training. The SPEAK Test is administered in August, December, and May. Candidates for the test are identified by their department. Information about the SPEAK Test is available at www.virginia.edu/provost/caelc.
- EdD and PhD on-Grounds programs--December 15.
- MEd and EdS on-Grounds programs--February 1 for all programs except School Counseling (January 3).
- Applicants to off-Grounds certificate, M.Ed. and Ed.S. programs must submit all materials (application, recommendations, transcripts, official test scores) by October 15 (spring entry), February 1 (summer entry) or June 1 (fall entry). All materials, including official scores, must be received by the application deadline.
WHEN ENTERING PROGRAM AREA AND DEGREE LEVEL OF INTEREST ON YOUR APPLICATION, ALSO ENTER THE SUBDISCIPLINE (IF RELEVANT). If you have questions, email us if you have questions.
Office of Admission and Student Services
405 Emmet St. South
P.O. Box 400261
Charlottesville, VA 22903