Skip to main content

Degree Types

Below you will find the wide variety of degrees offered at the Curry School ranging from our bachelors degrees (and even a minor) to our doctoral programs.

In addition, you can see that we have a portfolio of non-degree offerings that include certificates, course series that are designed to fulfill Virginia endorsement requirements, as well as workshops.

Education Specialist (Ed.S.)

The Education Specialist degree is a planned 30-credit (minimum) post-master’s program in which candidates are expected to attain a broad and systematic understanding of professional education, a definitive knowledge of a particular field of specialization, and an ability to integrate and apply theoretical concepts of education in an actual educational context. This program is designed for the accomplished, experienced practitioner with specific professional aspirations. It is not designed for those who wish to pursue a research emphasis as a prelude to doctoral study.

Academic Tracks Offered

Program Requirements

To earn an Education Specialist degree, the following minimum requirements must be met:

  • Of the 30 credits, 24 must be taken through Curry after admission to a program of study. At least 60 credits of graduate work must be completed prior to the awarding of the Ed.S. degree. For programs  based on a master’s degree of more than 30 credits, exceptions may be filed with the associate dean.
  • All program requirements for the degree, as established by the individual department and program area, must be met.

Learn more about admissions, enrollment and program requirements

Comprehensive Examination

The student must pass a comprehensive written examination as determined by the program area. In some program areas a project or thesis replaces this requirement.

Time Limit

No requirements, including transferred credit, completed more than eight years before the Ed.S. is to be awarded may be credited toward that degree. Exceptions to this rule must be approved by the advisor, the department chair, and the dean, and are granted only when some emergency, such as illness, interrupts the student’s work. In such cases, the student may be required to validate out-of-date work by examination.

Connect With Us On: