The Master of Education (MEd) degree focuses on advanced training in disciplines related to education.
Among other requirements, applicants must have a B average or better for the last two years of undergraduate study. They must also submit current GRE scores. Target scores (old exam/new exam) are at or above 450/150 (verbal), 530/145 (quantitative), 4.0 (analytical writing).
Applicants must meet meet any additional program specific requirements noted on the Curry website.
To earn a Master of Education degree, students:
*complete program requirements established by the faculty of the student’s program area,
* demonstrate satisfactory performance on a comprehensive examination in the program area (in certain program areas, a project or thesis replaces the comprehensive exam requirement),
* complete a minimum of 30 credits of graduate work (additional credits are required in selected programs),
* apply no more than 6 graduate credits taken either at another institution towards the total number of required credits, or at U.Va. prior to admission,
* complete a culminating experience (e.g., comprehensive exam, thesis), and
* register during the final semester.
This culminating experience is developed and administered in accordance with procedures determined by the department. Satisfactory performance must be demonstrated before the student can graduate. A student who fails to perform satisfactorily may petition for one more opportunity to succeed.
No requirements, including transferred credit, completed more than five years before the M.Ed. is to be awarded may be credited toward that degree. Exceptions must be approved by the advisor, department chair, and the associate dean, and are granted only when some emergency, such as illness, interrupts the student’s work. In such cases, the student may be required to validate out-of-date work by examination. Study is on a part-time or full-time basis.
Academic Tracks offered:
- M.Ed in Educational Psychology—Social Foundations
- M.Ed in Kinesiology—Adapted Physical Education
- M.Ed in Kinesiology—Exercise Physiology
- M.Ed in Special Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction—Gifted Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction—Instructional Technology (IT)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction—Reading
- M.Ed. in Educational Psychology—Research, Statistics & Evaluation
- M.Ed. in Educational Psychology: Applied Developmental Science
- M.Ed. in Higher Education - Higher Education Administration
- M.Ed. in Higher Education - Student Affairs Practice in Higher Education (SAPHE)
- M.Ed. in Kinesiology - Athletic Training
- M.Ed. in Kinesiology - Pedagogy
- M.Ed. in Kinesiology - West Point Teaching Program
- M.Ed. in School Counseling
- M.Ed. in Speech Communication Disorders
- M.Ed.in Administration & Supervision
- Off-Grounds M.Ed. in Educational Psychology—Social Foundations (NoVA)