General Professional Development
General Professional Development status allows individuals with the equivalent of a bachelor's degree to take education courses. Up to 6 credits of coursework can be applied toward a degree or certificate program, as long as coursework is relevant to program requirements.
To take a course in Charlottesville during:
- fall, spring semesters, complete a Permission to Enroll Form for non-degree seekers at least two weeks prior to the start of classes. (See the academic calendar.) This form must be resubmitted if you drop out for a fall or spring semester. If you are a contract employee in a K-12 school in Virginia, also submit the Special Tuition Form each semester you register for a class. This form allows you take up to three credits at a special rate Any additional credits taken during the semester will be billed at the regular tuition rate.
- summer term, complete the Permission to Enroll Form for non-degree seekers. Register for coursework through the Summer Session Office. (There are no special tuition rates during summer term.)
To take a course outside of Charlottesville (e.g., N.VA, Richmond, Hampton Roads) during fall/spring/summer, follow instructions under the registration section of Curry's Off Grounds page.
Academic Tracks offered:
- Add-On Endorsement in English Language Learning (On Grounds ONLY)
- Adolescent Literacy Certificate
- Certificate-only Option - Administration & Supervision
- Course Series in Gifted Education
- Course Series in Professional Studies
- Off-Grounds Certificate-only Option - Administration & Supervision
- Off-Grounds Course Series in English Language Learning PreK-12
- Off-Grounds Course Series in Gifted Education
- Off-Grounds Course Series in Teaching ESL to Adults
- Reading Specialist Certificate
- Special Education Certificate Leading to Initial Licensure