- Ph.D., Emory University, 2005
- M.A.T., Emory University, 1992
- B.S., Northwestern University, 1975
My research focuses on the 20th century history of African American schooling in the South before mandated desegregation, and how educational history can inform current schooling policy and practice. At UVa, I have also explored uses of technology in social studies teaching and learning. I have served on the editorial board of Theory and Research in Social Education and as a contributing author and features editor for the on-line academic journal, Social Studies Research and Practice.
- Civic education (K-12);
- Geography education (K-12);
- Historical and socio-cultural contexts of schooling;
- Uses of technology in learning and teaching.