Welcome to Curry Career Services available to any full-time student enrolled full-time in Curry degree programs. Interested in finding a K-12 education job as a teacher, counselor, SLP, or administrator? Check out our K-12 Job Search Tools K-12 Job Search Tools(linked below under resources) and attend Educators’ Expo, our annual job and interviewing fair.
Interested in work outside of K-12 education in research, clinical, or the non-profit sector, or have questions about future higher education opportunities? You might start your search with Curry Career Services, but may also decide to tap into the broader U.Va. career services offerings including: University Career Services (UCS) in Bryant Hall at Scott Stadium (Offering both counseling appointments and walk-in hours to all students at U.Va. General walk-ins last about 15 minutes and are intended for quick resume and cover letter critiques. Appointments are offered throughout the year, Monday through Friday. Please call 924-8900 or drop by UCS to schedule a time.) Check out our Job Listings: K-12, Higher Ed, Counseling & Non-Profit (linked below under resources).
Interested in health careers? UCS offers Health Professions Advising drop-in hours in Monroe Hall, Room 263 Tuesday through Thursday from 1:30-4:30pm, sign up for the Health professions listserv link: https://lists.virginia.edu/sympa/subscribe/uva-healthprof and check out the Health Professions Advising Opportunities Blog.
Annual Programs & Events
Education Resume Marathon: Monday, November 3, 2014 from 3:30-5:30pm (Holloway Hall, Bavaro Hall)
Make the Most of Educators' Expo: Panel of Employers: February 2015 (date, time and location TBA)
Educators' Expo K-12 Job & Interview Fair: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2015 - snow date is Friday, February 27, 2015 (Newcomb Hall Ballroom and adjacent rooms)
Fall Semester 2014 Office Hours: 3:30-5:30pm every Wednesday (while classes are in session during the academic year). Stop by Ruffner Suite 102 for a 15-minute meeting on any career-related topic.
Student Resume Assistance: Take advantage of walk-in hours and Education Resume Marathon (see above). Additionally, you can access University Career Services' office hours for resume critiques, every Monday-Friday 1pm-3pm during the semester. Also, check out CareerShift's "Resume Wizard" available through the University Career Services (UCS) website, (by setting up a MYUCS account). It is a good tool to help you create your first resume.
On-Grounds Interviewing (OGI)
Some education recruiting agencies, non-profit, government and public service organizations conduct interviews on-grounds. To participate and be considered for interviews, you will need to attend an OGI Orientation and then you will be set to start submitting your resume for organizations and companies that come here to interview you. If you have not yet attended an orientation and you want to participate in OGI, then you must complete the orientation that is now available online:
Getting into the Job Market
- Advising Services
- K-12 Job Search Tools (Handbook with How-To Guides)
- Job Listings: K-12, Higher Ed, Counseling & Non-Profit
- Curry CareerCasts: Podcasts on International Teaching; Education Job Fair & Interview Preparation; Money Management; more topics to come!
- Career Tracks / Research Resources
- Guide to Local Youth/Teaching Options for CLAS & Curry
Resources for Job Seekers
- CAVLink - U.Va.‘s main job listing service - Looking for a job or internship? Register on CAV-Link (if you haven’t already done so), and upload your resume!
- Hoosonline - U.Va.‘s networking resources - check out Career Resources/UCAN & the NEW Social Network
- Alumni Clubs - network through social events when visiting the geographic area
- Interfolio - U.Va.‘s partner to help with managing letters of recommendation
- University Career Services - U.Va.’s central career services office; be sure to set up a MyUCS account to access job listings purchased by UCS