Welcome to Curry Career Services available to any full-time student enrolled full-time in Curry degree programs. Interested in finding a K-12 education job as a teacher, counselor, SLP, or administrator? Check out our K-12 Job Search Tools K-12 Job Search Tools(linked below under resources) and attend Educators’ Expo, our annual job and interviewing fair.
Interested in work outside of K-12 education in research, clinical, or the non-profit sector, or have questions about future higher education opportunities? You might start your search with Curry Career Services, but may also decide to tap into the broader U.Va. career services offerings including: University Career Services (UCS) in Bryant Hall at Scott Stadium (Offering both counseling appointments and walk-in hours to all students at U.Va. General walk-ins last about 15 minutes and are intended for quick resume and cover letter critiques. Appointments are offered throughout the year, Monday through Friday. Please call 924-8900 or drop by UCS to schedule a time.) Check out our Job Listings: K-12, Higher Ed, Counseling & Non-Profit (linked below under resources).
Interested in health careers? UCS offers Health Professions Advising drop-in hours in Monroe Hall, Room 263 Tuesday through Thursday from 1:30-4:30pm, sign up for the Health professions listserv link: https://lists.virginia.edu/sympa/subscribe/uva-healthprof and check out the Health Professions Advising Opportunities Blog.
Annual Programs & Events
Education Resume Marathon: Tuesday, November 3, 2015 (Election Day!) from 3:00-6:00pm (Holloway Hall, Bavaro Hall)
Our Resume Marathon will be on November 3, 2015 (Election Day) from 3-6 pm in Holloway Hall, Bavaro Hall. This event continues to be a great success, thanks to our participating recruiters from: Albemarle Co. VA Public Schools, Fairfax County Public Schools, Georgetown Learning Centers, KIPP DC, Prince William County Public Schools, Roanoke County Public Schools, and Southern Teachers Agency (private & independent school recruiting agency & our generous sponsor) who have critiqued resumes during one-on-one meetings with students. Students typically receive one/or more 15-20 minute resume critique/s (and FREE PIZZA and drinks sponsored by Southern Teachers’ Agency). Education Recruiters are on hand to give their quick suggestions on improving students' resumes for this ANNUAL CURRY EVENT. We hope to see you at the next one!
Video Interviewing Prep for Educators' Expo: Spring 2016 (TBA) from 5-6pm (Holloway Hall, Bavaro Hall)
Educators' Expo K-12 Job & Interview Fair: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2016 - snow date is Friday, February 26, 2016 (Newcomb Hall Ballroom and adjacent rooms)
Fall Semester 2015 Drop-in Hours: 12-2pm Tuesdays and 3:30-5:30pm Wednesdays (while classes are in session) in Ruffner Suite 102 for career-related topics.
Student Resume Assistance: Take advantage of office hours and Education Resume Marathon (see above). Additionally, you can access University Career Services' office hours for resume critiques, every Monday-Friday 1pm-3pm during the semester. Also, check out CareerShift's "Resume Wizard" available through the University Career Services (UCS) website, (by setting up a MYUCS account). It is a good tool to help you create your first resume.
On-Grounds Interviewing (OGI):
Some education recruiting agencies, non-profit, government and public service organizations conduct interviews on-grounds. To participate and be considered for interviews, you will need to attend an OGI Orientation and then you will be set to start submitting your resume for organizations and companies that come here to interview you. If you have not yet attended an orientation and you want to participate in OGI, then you must complete the orientation that is now available online:
Getting into the Job Market
- Advising Services
- K-12 Job Search Tools (Handbook with How-To Guides)
- Job Listings: K-12, Higher Ed, Counseling & Non-Profit
- Curry CareerCasts: Podcasts on International Teaching; Education Job Fair & Interview Preparation; Money Management; more topics to come!
- Career Tracks / Research Resources
- Guide to Local Youth/Teaching Options for CLAS & Curry
Resources for Job Seekers
- CAVLink - U.Va.‘s main job listing service - Looking for a job or internship? Register on CAV-Link (if you haven’t already done so), and upload your resume!
- Curry Alumni LinkedIn Group - Join to gain access to our 2100+ members likely to be in professions closely connected to your interests
- UVA Alumni Networking Site - For the UVA-only database of over 25,000 alumni who agree to connect with alumni and students about career-related issues, sign up here to form connections
- Alumni Clubs - network through social events when visiting the geographic area
- University Career Services - U.Va.’s central career services office; be sure to set up a MyUCS account to access job listings purchased by UCS