We offer comprehensive assessments and treatments for:
- Language development and language disorders
- Pre-reading skill development
- Auditory processing disorders
- Voice disorders
- Articulation and phonological impairment
- Accent modification
- Brain injury rehabilitation
- Aural rehabilitation
- Pre-school language groups
- SPLASH- Speech-Language-Articulation Summer Help for preschool children
- SPLISH- Speech-Language-Intensive Summer Help for Children with Autism
- Professional inservices and consultation
We offer accent modification for students, UVA faculty and staff, and members of the greater Charlottesville community. Accent modification training is provided in small groups by American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA)-certified speech/language pathologists with the assistance of graduate student clinicians. Training involves 12 weekly sessions. The focus of the training is on the pronunciation of American English speech. Candidates for accent modification training should have an excellent command of English syntax and vocabulary but speak with an accent that interferes with communication, course of study or fulfilling the requirements of employment.
Individuals interested in accent modification training should contact the Sheila C. Johnson Center at (434) 924-7034.
Consumer Information For information on many topics related to speech, language, and hearing: http://www.asha.org/public/ . (Note: The inclusion of this link does not imply endorsement by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, ASHA).
For general information on speech and language topics: http://www.asha.org/public/speech/
For information on speech and language developmental milestones: http://www.asha.org/public/speech/development/default.htm or http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/LateBlooming.htm
For information on accent modification: http://www.asha.org/public/speech/development/accent_mod.htm