Please read all instructions carefully before you begin. The application for 2013 will be available here on December 15, 2012, and will be DUE ON FEBRUARY15th, 2013. We highly recommend that you apply online. (If you prefer paper applications, please scroll down. You will be able to download and print a paper application that corresponds to your grade level below.)
NOTE: Links open in the same window. Use your back arrow button to return to this screen after opening each link.
The deadline for Summer 2013 applications has now passed (Feb 15, 2013.) You may apply now, but will be placed on a wait list.
Acceptance decisions for on-time applicants are now posted on the student's account page.
We will begin to call waitlist applicants to fill vacancies on May 7th, 2013.
HOW TO APPLY ONLINE FOR 2013: (remember that all grade level references are the grade that your child will be RISING INTO during the summer that they are attending SEP.)
If anyone in your family attended SEP in Summer 2012 or if they have applied to the Saturday 2013 program, then you have a Family Account. Simply log in to your existing account and begin a new Summer application. *NEW* - You will see that the request for test scores has moved from the Teacher Recommendation to the student application page.
If you have not establised a Family Account before, please follow the instructions below:
Create Family Account.
We have a completely new online application system this year. Even if your children have attended SEP in the past, you will need to create a new FAMILY ACCOUNT. Once you have created the account, you can sign in later under “Family Sign In.” Please provide an email address which we can use to communicate with the parent or guardian of the child or children who will be applying to SEP. Once your account is established, you will have the opportunity to enter a second email address to which correspondence can also be sent. The second email address could be for the other parent or for the student if they are in high school and want to receive a copy of our correspondence. Establish a password. Please make a note of this password, and the primary email address you submitted so that you will be able to access this account later. Give your account a Family Name, for instance “The Smith Family.” After you have created the Family Account, you will have the opportunity to add one or more children to this account.
Add the parents/guardians' names and address to the next screen. With this new program, you will only need to type this information once. As you add children to your account, you will not have to retype any demographic information. You will be able to edit demographic information later if necessary, if you move or change email addresses or phone numbers.
Add One or More Children.
Add one child at a time, with their name, nickname if they have one, their date of birth, and gender. Indicate whether the child’s primary home address is with Parent 1 or Parent 2 (important if the parents do not reside in the same household.) Please make sure you have entered the correct gender. Since the students will stay in dormitories separated by gender, this is a very important piece of information for us.
This page will list the children you have added to your account, and you can continue to add children from this page by clicking “Add Child.” When the child’s name has been added, click on the program that the child is applying to. We have two programs: Saturday and Summer. Chose Summer, and you’ll be taken to the “Summer Student Home” page.
Summer Student Home.
Here you will see three icons:
- The Application
- The Teacher Recommendation
- The application fee payment link.
We recommend requesting the Teacher Recommendation as early as possible. Teachers are very busy and need plenty of time to respond to these requests. It is a good idea to speak to the teacher before you request the recommendation, verify their correct/preferred email address, and ask if they are willing to provide the recommendation. REQUEST ONLY ONE TEACHER RECOMMENDATION. Type the teacher’s name and their email address into the blanks provided. This recommendation can be received at any time by us, even before your child has completed his/her application.
Open the Application itself. It will ask:
- The name of the child’s CURRENT school and whether it is a public or private school, or homeschool.
- The grade the child will be RISING INTO while they are attending the SEP summer program. (i.e. not their current grade level) Once you have selected the grade level, the course titles for that grade level will appear on the page.
- Choose which Session the child would like to attend, or rank 2 or more Sessions if they are flexible about which Session they wish to attend. Choose “not interested” for any Session the child absolutely cannot attend.
- Choose courses the child would like to take. You will see the titles of all courses offered at this child’s grade level. Click on the titles and drag them up or down until the courses are in the order of preference. We try to place each child in their first or second choice of class. However, if certain courses are popular, or if we have to cancel a course for any reason, we may offer them admission to a class that is not their first or second choice. You will have the opportunity to accept or decline the offer, or request to be on a waiting list for the first or second choice class. If there is a course that the child is not willing to attend under any circumstances, please indicate that by checking the “unable to attend” box next to that course title so we don’t waste your time offering your child a place in that course. The descriptions of the courses for the three grades levels are listed here: These descriptions are from last year. The new course description for 2013 will be posted on December 15th.
- Writing Prompt: there are two writing prompts for each applicant. This year, the prompts are the same for each grade level. Please have your child read and respond to the appropriate prompt below. Note: while it is appropriate that the student discuss the prompts with parents, guardians, and/or teachers before they work on them, it is also expected that the completed work be their own. It is difficult to judge applications fairly unless we can be sure that every submission is the work of the applicant. We expect that the responses will be age-appropriate. We do not expect the same level of work from someone applying to the Junior camp as we expect from an applicant to the Senior camp. - Save the two responses in separate documents (about one page for each response, or more at older grade levels.) Upload and attach both documents. Acceptable file types are: txt, doc, PDF, ppt, and pptx files. If you experience any difficulties uploading or attaching these essays, you can call 434-924-3182 for technical assistance, or you can check the box indicating you will mail a copy of the essays to us.If you check the box, be sure to mail the prompts immediately, then check to make sure that we have received them. We will scan and upload them for you here. The prompts are:
- Test Score: each applicant should enter a recent standardized academic achievement or ability test, including, but not limited to, ERB, CogAT, Terra Nova, OLSAT, Virginia SOL, and SAT/PSAT. If you can't find your copy of this score, you should request them from the guidance department at your school. If the applicant has not taken any standardized tests, please enter N/A - a lack of standardized test scores will not negatively impact an applicant's admission to SEP.
- You can SAVE the Application page at anytime, and come back to it later, after the student has completed the essays, or decided which classes they want to take, or which sessions they want to attend. When the entire application is complete, and the essays are uploaded and attached, press the SUBMIT APPLICATION button. You will not be able to make any further changes to the application after you have submitted the final version. If you want to change your session or class choices after that time, you can call or email us at email@example.com and we will be happy to make that change for you.
Pay Application Fee.
In order for your child’s application to be considered, you must pay a $25 application fee for each child. Click on the Pay Application Fee icon, and you will be taken to the Family Payment Overview screen, listing the charges for each of your children.
All elements of your application must be received on or before February 15th, 2013 at midnight. Check back on the Summer Student Home page for each child to see that we have received the three required elements for a completed application. There will be a green check mark next to each item that we have received or a red X if we have not received that item. As you complete each of the elements, the icon will disappear, and all that will be left is the Application Process Checklist, with a green check or red X next to each of the three elements. Please don’t hesitate to call or email us at any point during this process with questions or concerns. This is a new system, and while we have tested it thoroughly, there may be bugs we have not yet discovered.
HOW TO APPLY ON PAPER:
It is easiest to apply online, but if you do not have good access to a computer, or you just prefer the paper application, we are always happy to receive your application. Choose the application that corresponds to the grade your child will be RISING INTO during the summer he/she will attend SEP. Click on it, print it, fill it out, attach the two essays, the completed (and sealed) teacher recommendation, and a check for $25. Mail it, postmarked no later than February 15th, 2013, to: UVa Summer Enrichment Program, P.O. Box 400264, Charlottesville, VA 22904.