If you haven’t heard of the Ron Clark Academy yet, then you have to check this place out! It’s a private, non-profit middle school in Atlanta, Georgia that’s got a pretty fun take on education. A coworker of mine recently shared this video with me, and it shows some pretty enthusiastic teaching (and learning) going on!
Posts Tagged ‘game’
Lesson Plan on RAFT writing
Plan Type: _X_ Full-detail Plan ___ Idea Plan
Freerice.com is a neat way for students to show compassion by donating rice through the UN to hungry people. It’s a fun, educational activity that demonstrate how “service” doesn’t necessarily mean physically going out and building houses for people or donating time. It can be something as simple as this game. The RAFT writing activity at the end of the game completes the activity by asking students to justify the use (or ban) of the website.
Students will understand
- that we can show compassion and provide service in a variety of ways.
Students will know
- how the UN uses freerice.com to fight world hunger.
- how to answer vocabulary questions and “win” rice on freerice.com
- how to complete a RAFT writing exercise.
Students will be able to
- answer vocabulary questions to “win” rice through freerice.com
- justify either using freerice.com or not using the website in a RAFT writing exercise.