Big Idea: Support for grammar instruction using hands-on learning and fun examples
Class Context: 6-12
Mini-Lesson on Prepositional Phrases--30 minutes
The English language is inundated with numerous confusing and conflicting grammar rules, perhaps none as mind boggling or as important as the mighty comma. Through this lesson, however, students will realize the significance of the small, yet powerful punctuation mark. Without it, writing lacks clarity and misunderstanding ensue.
Plan Type__X__Full Detail
- Students learn about subordinating conjunctions in context through numerous presentations of material. Direct instruction is given with the Prezi presentation which also elicits student help in guided practice towards the end. Students eventually create their own examples of opener sentence patterns using the acronym AAAWWUBBIS.
- Students will KNOW
- The causal relationship between sentence openers and commas
- the keywords of AAAWWUBBIS
- Students will UNDERSTAND
- Meaning drives sentence construction and punctuation
- Students will DO
- Complete guided practice and independent practice creating sentences with AAAWWUBBIS
- Create their own sentences using the AAAWWUBBIS opener words, although, as, after, while, when, unless, before, because, if, since.
- Read More