Curry Class Note

John P. Broome

John P. Broome (Ph. D. ’11 Soc Studies Ed) John Broomewas featured in the latest edition of Keying In, a publication of the National Business Education Association http://eagleeye.umw.edu/2012/12/06/john-broomes-teaching-spotlighted-by-national-association-2/  Broome is assistant professor and Director of Undergraduate Secondary Education and PreK-12 Education programs at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Va.

“I direct the Secondary Education and PreK-12 Education programs and teach undergraduate and graduate courses in social studies methods, classroom management and educational research. I teach professional development courses on addressing bullying in K-12 schools.

“I also direct the Hazel Hill Homework Club, a student-run tutoring program for low-income elementary and middle school students in downtown Fredericksburg. Students in my education classes tutor diverse youth in the club using culturally responsive teaching practices as a service-learning component of their coursework.

“My research focuses on approaches to K-12 civic education for 21st-century citizenship, the teaching and learning of K-12 social studies and the role of technology, and,experiential learning in K-16 learning environments.”

Curry Influence

“The Curry School provided me with the freedom and flexibility to explore the kind of future education professor I wanted to become. While taught by world-renown faculty, I was provided the opportunity to explore and collaborate with others in teaching and research. This made me a better educator and scholar.

“I taught and assisted in the elementary and secondary programs, both ranked in the Top 10 by U.S. World News and Report. This is unheard of at other institutions, and it provided me with the foundation to be a better K-12 teacher educator. I gained a wealth of research skills by working in the Center for Technology and Teacher Education and Center for Advanced Study of Teaching and Learning (CASTL). I even worked with an amazing group of my doctoral peers to found the Curry Research Conference in 2010.

“As a civic educator, the most impactful event during my time at Curry was the Educating World Citizens for the 21st Century Conference. This event was co-sponsored by the school and featured H.H. the Dali Lama for two days as the main speaker. It opened my eyes to the possibilities for 21st-century civic education and reinforced my desire to research and contribute to the civic mission of schools.”

Share Your Success