MyTeachingPartner - Mathematics/Science Curricula and Implementation Support System
A curriculum for at-risk four-year-olds and just-in-time support system for their teachers.
o Teachers observed to:
- Provide students with higher quality instructional support.
- Provide students with higher facilitation of mathematics and scientific thinking
o Children demonstrated greater learning gains across the year and higher end-of-year performance
How we did it...
Design thinking and systematic Design methods:
o Met with users and stakeholders, analyzed needs, brainstormed solutions, rapid prototyping of solutions, extensive testing from small pilot to large scale efficacy trial in 140 classrooms.
o Young children’s math and science knowledge/skills are most important predictors of academic success but relatively little time is spent on this in the early childhood classroom.
o Teachers are not confident as facilitators of math and science learning.
o Traditional professional development is expensive, time-consuming, distant from practice.
o Yearlong curricula for prekindergarten mathematics and science provide engaging, cognitively demanding inquiry activities, scaffolding students' deep knowledge and skill development.
- Support children’s emerging development across the year.
- Are appealing and fun, balancing child-directed explorations with teacher guidance.
- Easy for teachers to implement
- Embed teacher professional development in bite-sized chunks, more likely to be transferred to practice
o We brought teachers a laser focus in limited time: In 10 minutes a day, learn how to implement an entire year’s curricula in math and in science:
- Rich teaching tips embedded within the curricula: Bite-sized teaching tips, recommendations for differentiated instruction, and extensions across the school day and at home
- Online just-in-time demonstrations of high quality, high fidelity teaching practice are authentic, from at-risk classrooms like teachers’ own
Why online delivery matters:
- Scaled professional development meets needs of many teachers inexpensively
- Reduction in time away from classroom for training.
- Available everywhere, via computer or mobile device, via an attractive user interface.
Listen to Mable Kinzie and Jessica Whittaker discuss this project:
Funding Source: Institute of Education Sciences, U.S. Department of Education, Grant R305A120631
Start/End Dates: 2007-2016
Current students working on MTP: Math/Science:
- Vick Whittaker, J., Kinzie, M.B., Williford, A., & DeCoster, J. (in press). Mathematics and Science Curricula and Professional Development: Effects of MyTeachingPartner-Math/Science on Teacher-Child Interactions in Prekindergarten Classrooms. Early Education and Development.
- McGuire, P., Kinzie, M.B., Thunder, K., & Berry, R. (in press). Methods of Analysis and Overall Teaching Quality in Pre-K Mathematics. Early Education and Development.
- Kinzie, M. B., Vick Whittaker, J., McGuire, P., Lee, Y., & Kilday, C.R. (2015). Research on curricular development for pre-kindergarten mathematics & science. Teachers College Record, 117 (7).
- Kinzie, M.B., Vick Whittaker, J., Williford, A., Maier, M., McGuire, P., Lee, Y., & Kilday, C.R. (2014). MyTeachingPartner-Math/Science pre-kindergarten curricula and teacher supports: Associations with children's math and science learning. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 29(4), 586-599. doi: 10.1016/ j.ecresq.2014.06.007
- McGuire, P. R., & Kinzie, M. B. (2013). Analysis of place value instruction and development in pre-k mathematics. Early Childhood Education Journal, 41, 355-364. doi: 10.1007/s10643-013-0580-y
- Lee, Y., & Kinzie, M. B. (2012). Teacher questioning and student responses with regard to cognition and language use. Instructional Science, 40, 857-874. doi: 10.1007/s11251-011-9193-2.
- Kilday, C.R., Kinzie, M.B., Mashburn, A.J., & Whittaker, J.V. (2012). Accuracy of teacher judgments of preschoolers' math skills. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, 30(2), 148-159. doi:10.1177/0734282911412722
- Lee, Y., Kinzie, M. B., Whittaker, J. V. (2012). Impact of online support for teachers’ open-ended questioning. Teaching and Teacher Education, 28, 568-577. doi:10.1016/j.tate.2012.01.002
- McGuire, P., Kinzie, M.B., & Berch, D.B. (2012). Developing number sense in pre-k using five-frames. Early Childhood Education Journal, 40(),213-222. doi:10.1007/s10643-011-0479-4
- Wang, F., Kinzie, M. B., McGuire, P., & Pan, E. (2010). Applying technology to inquiry-based Learning in early childhood education. Early Childhood Education Journal, 37(5), 381-389. doi:10.1007/s10643-009-0364-6
- Kilday, C. R., & Kinzie, M. B. (2009). An analysis of instruments that measure the quality of mathematics teaching in early childhood. Early Childhood Education Journal, 36, 365-372. doi:10.1007/s10643-008-0286-8
- Student Spotlight: Christina Mulcahy Discusses Her Early Math Work and Mentoring Experience at Curry
- For Preschoolers, Math Means More Than Counting to 10
- Series To Explore How Best to Design U.Va.’s Online Learning Environments
- MTP-M/S Kicks Off Project in Missouri
- Curry and CASTL Partners with Preschool from Alexandria for 2-day Workshop
- CASTL Researchers Will Test Effectiveness of Pre-K Math-Science Curricula
- Curry’s MyTeachingPartner Math-Science Earns Award
- MyTeachingPartner: Math/Science Video
- Curry Pre-K Math and Science Project for Teachers and Students Wins Award