MyTeachingPartner - Secondary
Recasting the Secondary School Classroom as a Context for Positive Youth Development
The goal of this project is to enhance the developmental quality of the single setting in which youth under age 18 spend the greatest number of their waking hours: the secondary school classroom. The study proposes to implement and assess an intervention designed to change the nature of student-teacher interactions with the classroom so as to enhance adolescent engagement, motivation, and ultimately, achievement and related outcomes.
MTP-S in the News
Coaching middle and high school teachers to enhance the quality of their interactions with students leads to significant gains in students’ end-of-school-year achievement test scores... Read more.
Allen, J. P., Pianta, R. C., Gregory, A., Mikami, A. Y., & Lun, J. (2011) An interaction-based approach to enhancing secondary school instruction and student achievement. Science, 333(6045), 1034-1037.
Allen, J. P., Gregory, A., Mikami, A. Y., Lun, J., Hamre, B. K., & Pianta, R. C. (2013). Observations of effective teaching in secondary school classrooms: Predicting student achievement with the CLASS-S. School Psychology Review, 42(1), 76-98.
Gregory, A., Allen, J. P., Mikami, A., Hafen, C. A., & Pianta, R. (2014). Effects of a professional development program on behavioral engagement of students in middle and high school. Psychology in the Schools, 51(2), 143-163.
Gregory, A., Allen, J. P., Mikami, A., Hafen, C. A., & Pianta, R. C. (in press). The effectiveness of a teacher professional development program in reducing the racial disparity in classroom discipline referrals. In D. Losen (Ed.),Racial inequity in school discipline. New York: Teachers College Press.
Hafen, C. A., Allen, J. P., Gregory, A., Mikami, A. Y., Hamre, B., & Pianta, R. C. (2012). The pivotal role of autonomy in secondary school classrooms. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 41, 245-255.
Mikami, A. Y., Gregory, A., Allen, J. P., Pianta, R. C., & Lun, J. (2011). Effects of a teacher professional development intervention on peer relationships in secondary classrooms. School Psychology Review, 40(3), 352-366.
- Can Better Classroom Instruction Have a Large Impact on Closing the Racial Discipline Gap?
- Department of Education’s Rethink Discipline Initiative Highlights Two CASTL Resources
- MyTeachingPartner (MTP) Included in New Guide to Effective PD
- CASTL’s Deal Visits Baltimore City Schools to Provide Kick Off Workshop
- CASTL Researchers Lead Over 80 Presentations at SRCD
- MTP-Secondary Team Partners with Baltimore Curriculum Project
- Emerging Scholar Chris Hafen Highlighted
- A Biology Teacher on the Value of MyTeachingPartner
- Visiting Scholars to Implement MyTeachingPartner-S for Israeli Context
- Dean Pianta on Developing Effective Teaching