Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP)
Summer Undergraduate Research Program
The Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) is an 8-week internship that will provide undergraduates from underrepresented groups with valuable research and professional development experience under the guidance of UVA Faculty. This internship program is designed to encourage students from groups traditionally underrepresented in the field of education research to consider careers in academic, policy, or research organizations. Interns will work on research focusing on schools, classrooms, and other youth settings as contexts critical to child and adolescent development. They will also participate in meetings and workshops, and attend a research conference.
The goals of the Summer Undergraduate Research Program are:
- To attract the most competitive, diverse group of students to the Curry School of Education PhD programs, like EP-ADS and Ed. Policy.
- To introduce top students to our PhD programs to determine if it is a good fit for your goals and research interests
- To strengthen the skills needed to successfully complete a doctoral program in education research
- To diversify the field of education research and broaden the range of perspectives
Testimonials from Former SURP Students
Here are a few comments from students who previously participated in SURP:
"I don't want to sound cliche but this program really changed my perception of graduate school, the research field, and in education (really did open my eyes). Not only would I recommend SURP to individuals interested in educational research, I would also recommend it in general because I feel like students who intend to go to grad school should have an experience like this."
"This program taught me so much about research, networking, graduate school, etc... that I found it to be the most valuable professional experience I have had thus far."
"It was great to see what type of research goes on in the education field. I think many students are unaware of the opportunities in educational research and this program provides an excellent insight to the field."
"Because of this program I now feel completely prepared to apply to and do well in an educational research program. I have met some wonderful people and had some priceless learning experiences."
"I loved this program! I learned more this summer about research and myself than I have in my entire undergraduate career."
SURP participants have gone on to graduate programs in applied developmental and educational psychology, public policy, applied behavior analysis, urban education, school psychology, higher education and mental health counseling. Additionally, we have graduates working across the country at research labs, public schools, research and policy institutes and the Peace Corps. We have been fortunate to have outstanding interns during each of our first four years. Please read more about our alumni.
This is an 8-week program, with interns arriving in Charlottesville on first week in June and departing on July 31st. Interns must be able to commit to the full 8 weeks (including weekends).
- Undergraduate Researcher Program from Summer 2014
- Two SURP Interns Describe Their Preparation for Graduate School
- Curry Resources and Support are Key for Two SURP Interns
- Teamwork is the Foundation for Graduate School for Two SURP Interns
- Mentoring Research and Being Mentored is Top Priority for Two SURP Interns
- SURP Kicks Off by Partnering with U.Va.‘s Center for Undergraduate Excellence
- SURP Alumna Advances as a Finalist for the Truman Scholarship
- SURP Alumna is Nominee for Truman Scholarship
- SURP Accepting Applications for Summer 2014