Gifted Education Online Course Series leading to Endorsement
The online Gifted Education course series, which can lead to endorsement, focuses on preparing teachers and administrators to address the characteristics and needs of gifted children.
Topics in this course series include an overview of issues in the definition of giftedness, identification, curriculum, instructional strategies, program options, special populations and evaluation.
The key objectives for the Online Gifted Education course series at Curry are to:
- Develop educators’ understanding of the field of gifted education;
- Prepare teachers and administrators to make research-based decisions in developing programs and curriculum for gifted students;
- Prepare teachers and administrators to teach gifted students;
- Increase educator appreciation of the wide range of giftedness and the issues in identifying and serving gifted students from diverse populations; and
- Strengthen and enhance leadership capacity in the field of gifted education.
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) sets the requirements for licensure in Gifted Education. These consist of 12 required course credits plus the additional requirements, below. VDOE policy regarding the Gifted & Talented endorsement requirements. Please note that a mentor holding a valid license with an endorsement in Gifted Education must be assigned to the student.
Send your documentation, as a package, to:
Virginia Department of Education
Division of Teacher Education and Licensure
PO Box 2120
Requirements for Endorsement Candidates:
- 12 required course credits
- Cover letter to VDOE requesting endorsement
- Fee to VDOE (details)
- Official U.Va. transcripts (directions)
- 45 instructional hour teaching practicum with gifted learners + letter on division or school letterhead from a supervisor or administrator who is endorsed in gifted education, documenting this practicum, OR One year of successful full-time teaching + form(Report on Experience Form in the VDOE Teaching Licensure application) filled out by the appropriate school official noting successful completion.
If you have a UVA-supervised internship, please contact Christina Amspaugh at email@example.com for details as to how to complete your application package to the VDOE.
Students interested in taking courses in this series must fill out a Non-degree Student form; no application is needed.
Students should fill out the Non-Degree Student form at least a week before the start of the desired term. Early submission is recommended to secure spots in desired classes.
Students may take courses at their leisure. Once they have completed the requirements set forth by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE), they may apply to the VDOE for the add-on endorsement.
Teacher of gifted students, coordinator of gifted education programs
The information contained on this website is for informational purposes only. The Undergraduate Record and Graduate Record represent the official repository for academic program requirements. These publications may be found at http://records.ureg.virginia.edu/index.php.