Global Studies in Education Minor
Students of Global Studies strive to understand the effectiveness of educational policies and practices in an increasingly interconnected world.
Global citizens know about the world. They communicate in many languages about problems and solutions that affect the global community. Our leaders’ decisions—and indeed many of our own personal choices—about the economy and trade, education and human rights, global security, sustainable development, energy usage and the environment—may affect people’s lives far beyond our national borders. Global Studies builds global awareness. Global Studies suggests that education can help build working relationships among people.
What is the Global Studies in Education Minor?
The Global Studies in Education minor is part of the Curry School’s Social Foundations of Education program. The minor provides an interdisciplinary view of social theories and comparative frameworks that stretch beyond traditional definitions of teachers and school administrators to delve into concepts of school and society; history, philosophy and culture; and educational policy, theory and practice.
By investigating global and national educational problems from different perspectives, students engage with real-world issues. They examine many of the most pressing concerns facing 21st century schools, such as:
- poverty, inequality and human rights
- the role of states, the international community, NGOs and civil society in policy making and implementation
- the influence of history, culture and tradition in schooling
- intersections among the economy, societal and social policy
This minor is appropriate for undergraduate students considering careers and/or further study in education, including:
- education leadership and social entrepreneurship
- non-profit work
- domestic and international NGO work
- teaching, including Teach for America or teacher certification programs
- government positions in education both in the US and abroad
- the Peace Corps and other international development or education work
Declare the Global Studies in Education minor by completing the minor declaration form. Once you have completed the form and obtained the signature of the Social Foundations faculty member bring the form to your school's registrar to be entered into SIS. This minor is open to students across the University.
Information on courses required for the minor can be found in the Undergraduate Record
The information contained on this website is for informational purposes only. The Undergraduate Record and Graduate Record represent the official repository for academic program requirements. These publications may be found at http://records.ureg.virginia.edu/index.php.