Educators' Expo k-12 Job & Interview Fair
2018 EDUCATORS EXPO recruiter registration is open (via Handshake)
Educators’ Expo is an annual event sponsored by the Curry School of Education Career Services Office. The Expo attracts approximately 400 education students from all academic levels. Generally 75-100+ organizations (including public school divisions, charter schools, private/independent schools and education recruiting agencies) participate to recruit for full-time & summer positions.
This annual education job and interview fair is open to all candidates/students (including those with no affiliation with UVA) interested in k-12 positions in Teaching, Counseling, Speech Language Pathology (SLP) or Administration. Free admission and advance registration (for UVa students only, all others sign in to register on the day of the event only). All majors & degrees sought (not just certified candidates); and math, science & Spanish majors highly encouraged to attend.
- Date: Friday, February 16, 2018 (Snow Date is Tuesday, February 27, 2018)
- Time (for Job Fair): 9am - 12noon
- Lunch (included for Employers/Recruiters): available 11:30 - 1:30pm
- Time (for Candidate Interviews): 12:00 - 5pm
- Employer/Recruiter Registration/Check-in: 8 - 9am (in Newcomb Hall Ballroom foyer; allows time for setup, parking and continental breakfast provided/included for Employers/Recruiters)
- Cost for Employers: $500 for one day, one booth/table full day (includes up to 3 representatives for Job Fair 9am-12pm; and 3 representatives for Interview Fair 1pm-5pm) -or- $250 for 1/2 day, Job Fair only 9am-12pm
- Location: UVA's Newcomb Hall Ballroom and adjacent rooms, Charlottesville, VA
- Employer/Recruiter Parking: Newcomb Hall parking garage, 400 Emmet Street South (free for Employers/Recruiters, please bring parking stub to employer registration desk for validation)
- 8am - 9am: Employers/Recruiters arrive and set up; Continental breakfast is available and included for all Recruiters.
- 9am - 12noon: The Job Fair begins; this portion of the event allows students/candidates to meet education recruiters and schedule interviews for the afternoon, if not previously scheduled.
- 11:30 - 1:30pm: Lunch provided for Employers & Recruiters (Lunch is provided for recruiters/employers and available in rooms adjacent to the fair; while students/candidates will have lunch on your own - available on floors/levels just beneath the fair)
- 12noon - 5pm: Most recruiters conduct 30-minute scheduled interviews, mutually arranged by candidates and recruiters either earlier in the day or through previous contact. Students/Candidates can arrange interviews in advance by contacting recruiters directly (for details, see 'Tips for Students/Alumni/Candidates' below), and candidates from beyond UVA may arrange interviews during the morning Job Fair (9am-12noon) the day of the event.
UVa candidates can consider being proactive in contacting the employers in advance of the event. All candidates will want to attend the morning Job Fair (9am-12noon) to arrange and/or confirm interviews for the afternoon interview portion. While many schools participate in the interview portion, not all do. Click here for the live link to the 2018 list of which Education Employers and School Districts are coming. (For 2017 here is the list of Education Employers and Schools Districts who participated.) When contacting employers/recruiters in advance of the event via email, it is best to: 1) Write a targeted (non-generic) cover letter in the body of your e-mail and 2) Attach a virus-free resume naming the resume with your first and last nameresume.doc (rather than just resume.doc). Check out the K-12 Job Search Handbook with How-To Guides for resume and cover letter writing help. Most employers will fill their schedules during the Job Fair portion of the event, and this is done directly with them - there is not an 'open' sign up for interviews like you find at some events. Even if they are not registered to attend the interview portion, you can contact them to inquire about the possibility of meeting with them outside of the event. Be sure to sign in at the event and pick up a copy of the Expo directory and map to see where the recruiters/employers will be located.
From I-64: Following signs to the U.VA Information Center, get off at exit 118B for the Route 29/250 Bypass. Go approximately 2 miles and take the off ramp for Route 250 East Business (Ivy Road). Turn right off the exit ramp and follow Ivy Road. At the third light, turn right on Route 29 Business/Emmet Street. Turn left into the University of Virginia parking garage (hourly fees).
From I-66 via US Route 29 North: Take I-66 from Northern Virginia past Manassas. Take the exit marked Route 29 South - Gainesville. Proceed to Charlottesville, where Route 29 becomes Emmet Street. Pass University Hall basketball arena on the right. Proceed straight through traffic light at the intersection of Route 250 Business (University Avenue/Ivy Road). Turn left into the University of Virginia parking garage (hourly fees).
Employer/Recruiter parking is in the Newcomb Hall Parking Garage, 400 Emmet Street South (aka: Central Grounds parking). Please bring your parking stub to Expo Employer Registration for validation. Click here for directions and parking information (follow the directions for Central Grounds parking garage).
Student/Candidate parking: As parking is limited in and around UVA, we strongly encourage you to use public transportation if at all possible. Try taking a hotel shuttle, a taxi (typically a more affordable option than the high cost of parking), carpool with friends, or try the Charlottesville Transit Service. Please note that UVA’s main parking garage does not accept credit cards, so bring along cash or check, if you select this option.
For our 2018 Expo, we anticipate securing very competitive hotel rates with:
- The Doubletree for $94/night - Call (800) 222 -TREE and ask for UVa Educators' Expo block or click here to access our registration block. Reserve early, as blocks can fill quickly.
- Hyatt Place for $119/night (pending) - Additionally, we anticipate securing a UVa Educators' Expo block. Reserve early, as blocks can fill quickly.
Alternatively, you can search for additional area hotels here.
Requests for registration cancellation must be made in writing to: the Director of Curry Career Services, (Hilary Kerner firstname.lastname@example.org). Career fair expenses are incurred based on the number registrants, therefore, NO request for a release of obligation or refund will be granted if request is received by Curry Career Services less than 30 days prior to the event.
In case of inclement weather, please call (434) 924-SNOW. If the University is operating on a regular academic/work schedule or if employees are granted a grace period to arrive, the event will be held as scheduled. Therefore, NO request for release of obligation or refund will be granted. In the rare circumstance that the University is closed (i.e. classes are cancelled), the event will be rescheduled for Tuesday, February 27, 2018.
Any job fair displays and boxes should be shipped to U.Va. via Package Depot in Charlottesville and will be delivered to your booth prior to the event. Package Depot will be responsible for the return or forwarding of your parcels. Print and complete the Package Depot Request for Service Form, and email or fax the form to alert the staff of your package's arrival. Please do not send literature or displays to the University of Virginia. Please contact Package Depot regarding rates BEFORE you mail anything to them. Mail displays and boxes to: Package Depot, Attn: Educators Expo, 2123 Ivy Road, Suite B, Charlottesville, VA 22903. Tel: 434.984.2121; Fax: 984-2122; Email: email@example.com. *Please label all boxes on the outside with your organization's name*