Virginia Kindergarten Readiness Program
The Virginia Kindergarten Readiness Program (VKRP) builds a more comprehensive understanding of school readiness and success. For more details about the initiative, view the VKRP Snapshot and visit the VKRP website.
VKRP measures math, self-regulation and social skills to complement Virginia's statewide assessment of literacy skills using Phonological Awareness Literacy Screening (PALS).
Detailed reports of students' skills (student, classroom, school and division levels) can be used by teachers, families, principals, school leaders and others.
VKRP includes online and in-person trainings, skill and strategy guides and activities to support student learning.
VKRP was mandated by the Virginia General Assembly (HB5002, Item 128, H.) to reach full statewide implementation by the 2019-20 school year.
Project Status: Fall 2013 – Fall 2020
Funding Source: Virginia Department of Education
Principal Investigators: Amanda Williford (PI), Jessica Whittaker (Co-PI)
- CASTL Professor Leads the Way to Improve Kindergarten Readiness in Virginia
- VKRP Launches New Website, Plans to Expand Assessment Program In Coming Year
- Innovative Norfolk School Aims to Prepare All Children for Kindergarten
- Va. Legislature Awards Researchers $1M to Assess Kindergarten Readiness
- Virginia Legislature Expands UVA’s Kindergarten Readiness Program Statewide
- $10M in Funding Awarded to CASTL Researchers in 2018
- Closing the Early Childhood Opportunity Gap
- Boosting Kindergarten Readiness Through Professional Development
Amanda P. Williford Research Associate ProfessorJessica E. Whittaker Research Associate ProfessorJamie DeCoster Research Assistant ProfessorJason T. Downer Professor of Education, Program Area Director, Clinical and School Psychology, Director, CASTLElise Rubinstein Research ManagerCaitlin Ellis Powell Early Childhood Education Project AssociateLilian Hummer Research SpecialistWanda Weaver Research ScientistAllison Kallmann Research Specialist IntermediateKathy Neesen Research Scientist, Instructional Technology DirectorChristle de Vera Research Specialist IntermediateMatthew C. Semanik Multimedia/Web DeveloperSarah Virginia Lydic Senior Instructional Design/Multimedia DeveloperVirginia E. Vitiello Assistant Professor, Research Faculty