Youth Violence Project
The Virginia Youth Violence Project is a research group composed of faculty and graduate students in the Curry School of Education and Human Development at the University of Virginia. We conduct research on youth violence prevention and school safety, and provide training and consultation on topics such as threat assessment, bullying prevention, and forensic psychology.
Call To End Gun Violence
A growing coalition of national education organizations sign onto eight-point violence prevention plan.Read more.
School shootings have led teachers and administrators to rethink their actions when a student makes a threat. The goal is to not overreact or underreact.
New Online School Safety Program
These brief programs will help students, parents, and teachers understand the threat assessment process to prevent violence.Read more
Threat Assessment Research
YVP is evaluating the statewide implementation of threat assessment teams in Virginia K-12 schoolsRead more
YVP Team Conducting Statewide School Climate Study
Our 4-year federally-funded project has yielded strong support for an authoritative school climate.Read more
Virginia Student Threat Assessment Guidelines
New YVP grant to evaluate implementationRead more
Preventing Gun Violence
Call for Action to Prevent Gun Violence in the United States of America
Interdisciplinary Group on Preventing School and Community Violence
- Tom Tom Youth Conference Unleashes Student Ingenuity
- Study Finds Link between Voter Preference for Trump and Bullying in Middle Schools
- Cornell and Bradshaw Join Coalition Issuing Call to Action to Prevent Gun Violence
- Dewey Cornell: Will the next shooting be in Virginia?
- PBS NewsHour covers YVP's work with Sandy Hook Promise to prevent school shootings
- New Study Assesses Virginia Public Schools’ Success in Detecting Serious Threats
- Survey: Va. High Schoolers Feel Supported, but Report Bullying and Sexual Harassment
- Study: VA Schools’ Threat Assessment Teams Show No Racial Discipline Gap While Preventing Violence
- Prof. Cornell Honored by Sandy Hook Promise
- Study: Threat Assessment Teams are Making a Positive Impact in Virginia Schools
- Statewide Public Middle School Climate Report Finds Students, Teachers Feel Safe, Respected
- Youth-Nex and Curry Host Panel at VA Festival of the Book