Job Candidate Tutrang Nguyen
Bio: Tutrang Nguyen is an Institute of Education Sciences (IES) Postdoctoral Training Fellow in the Curry School of Education and Human Development at the University of Virginia. She is affiliated with both the Center for Advanced Study of Teaching and Learning (CASTL) and EdPolicyWorks. Her research focuses on policies around the early care and education of young children. Specifically, she examines the role of early learning in promoting development and expanding opportunity of children from disadvantaged families; and the implementation challenges of rapidly growing early education initiatives, especially around issues of program and classroom quality. She primarily conducts quantitative analyses of longitudinal, administrative, and survey data, but also has experience collecting and analyzing observational classroom data. Tutrang’s current projects focus on identifying and accurately measuring essential features of early childhood education settings that support children’s positive experiences and outcomes, and explores how they can be brought to scale successfully.
Postdoctoral Mentor(s): Bob Pianta and Daphna Bassok
Faculty Advisor(s): Greg Duncan
Dissertation Committee: Deborah Vandell, Jade Jenkins, Stephanie Reich
- Early childhood education policy
- Child development
- Measures of classroom quality in evaluation and accountability systems
- Nguyen, T., Ansari, A., Pianta, R.C., Whittaker, J.E., Vitiello, V.E., & Ruzek, E.A. (In press). The classroom relational environment and children’s early development in preschool. Social Development.
- Pianta, R.C., Hamre, B.K., & Nguyen, T. (In press). Measuring and improving quality in early care and education. Early Childhood Research Quarterly.
- Nguyen, T., Reich, S.M., Jenkins, J.M., & Abedi, J. (2019). Psychometric validation and reorganization of the Desired Results Developmental Profile. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1177/0734282919859804
- Jenkins, J.M., Whitaker, A.A., Nguyen, T., & Yu, W. (2019). Distinctions without a difference? Preschool curricula and children’s development. Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness, 12(3), 514-549.
- Nguyen, T., Duncan, R.J., & Bailey, D.H. (2019). Theoretical and methodological implications of associations between executive function and mathematics in early childhood. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 58(3), 276-287.