Hal Turner

I grew up in a family of educators, and I was fortunate to receive a great K-12 and college education, but I was not necessarily set on pursuing the family profession. I felt that TFA would be a great outlet for giving that education back to the community.

Higher Education Administration Ed.D program, Year 2
(B.A., ’09 Art History, M.Ed. ’12 Higher Ed, University of Virginia)

Hal worked with special education students at a KIPP public charter middle school in New Orleans, where 94% of the students are eligible for the free and reduced price lunch program.

A Little Background

“I grew up in a family of educators, and I was fortunate to receive a great K-12 and college education, but I was not necessarily set on pursuing the family profession. I felt that TFA would be a great outlet for giving that education back to the community.”

One Thing He Will Always Remember

“You immediately see the incredible needs of your students, and you realize that if you aren’t prepared each and every day, your students won’t learn. That’s life changing for a teacher. You are responsible for every student’s future that you come across.”

His Inspiration

“I would never have learned the extent to which educational injustices occur on a daily basis throughout this country if I had not seen it for myself through Teach for America. Some of my students came into the sixth grade not knowing how to read and write. I worked with students who fought to stay awake in class because of malnutrition or issues at home. I worked with students whose lives were governed by gang violence. I came away with a lifelong commitment to helping students gain access to quality education.”

Why Curry?

“Many economically disadvantaged students still struggle with the transition to college due to increased independence and academic rigor. I felt that a career in student affairs and higher education administration would provide me with the tools to better serve these students as they take the next big step in their academic careers. I wanted to find a top-tier education program that covered a broad area of student affairs while simultaneously offering a challenging academic work load. Curry provided both of these elements, as well as the added bonus of returning to Charlottesville and becoming part of U.Va. once again.”