Jordan Buckrop

I volunteered in a daycare and elementary school during my time as an undergrad in Charlottesville. Not only did I love working with the students, but this experience in the community helped shaped my perspective about the educational opportunities available in our country.

Applied Developmental Science M.Ed. program, Year 1
(B.A. ’07 History & Government, University of Virginia)

Jordan taught at an elementary school in Wilson’s Mills, North Carolina, in which more than two thirds of students were eligible for the free or reduced-price lunch program. After fulfilling her two-year TFA obligation, she stayed for an additional four years.

A Little Background

“I volunteered in a daycare and elementary school during my time as an undergrad in Charlottesville.  Not only did I love working with the students, but this experience in the community helped shaped my perspective about the educational opportunities available in our country.  TFA’s mission of providing all students with the opportunity to an excellent education really resonated with me.”

Her Inspiration

“Anyone who has the opportunity to work with children becomes part of a community. I feel very grateful that the community accepted me, and they allowed me to teach their children. I learned so much from them. It’s a huge privilege to be a teacher.”

One Thing She Will Always Remember

“There’s lots of talk about big ideas, school choice, charter schools, early education, but I saw the power of good teaching—both as I grew as a teacher and in the more experienced teachers around me.”

Why Curry?

“I learned an incredible amount every day as a teacher, but I still had a lot of questions about how our students were learning and what instructional practices our teachers were using.  The Applied Developmental Science program seems like a wonderful combination of learning more about children’s development in relation to learning and how practitioners can engage in meaningful and applicable research about educational practices.

“Wilson’s Mills taught me a lot about the value of community. After spending six years in this community, I knew I wanted to find a place and a school that embodied that same value—something that Charlottesville and Curry most certainly does!”