Lora Henderson

I loved kids and knew I wanted to do something with children. I wanted to try out teaching and at the same time help students at high needs schools…

Clinical/School Psychology Ph.D program, Year 1
(B.A. ’10 Psychology, Clark Atlanta University; M.S.Ed. ’13,  Counseling and Mental Health Services, University of Pennsylvania)

Lora taught second graders at an elementary school in Slaughter, Louisiana, about 30 miles from Baton Rouge. While she was there, the school operated only Tuesday through Friday and was in the process of desegregating for the first time.

A Little Background

“I loved kids and knew I wanted to do something with children. I wanted to try out teaching and at the same time help students at high needs schools and gain firsthand experience for a career in child psychology.”

One Thing She Will Always Remember

“Equal education isn’t only something minorities need. Low income people of all backgrounds are not getting an adequate education.”

Her Inspiration

“I realized how much kids want to be at school and want someone to understand them and teach them in a way they can learn. Through working with my students’ families I also learned how invested parents and guardians are in their kids’ education, whether or not they understand exactly what to do to help.”

Why Curry?

“During my time in the classroom, I quickly realized that I was not only a teacher but a counselor, psychologist, friend, mom, etc.  I realized that I really enjoyed this aspect of my job, so I decided to go back to school and return to my psychology roots. I wanted to be able to really help the kids who were struggling with issues that I couldn’t address as a classroom teacher. I earned an M.S.Ed. in Counseling and Mental Health Services from the University of Pennsylvania.

I quickly realized that I wanted to continue on to Curry so that I could gain the skills necessary to create interventions and provide mental health services to children who are struggling academically and psychosocially in the school setting. The Clinical & School Psychology program is the perfect way for me to combine my clinical interests with my love for working with children and in schools.”