Rebecca Beeson

I’m especially interested in bilingual and English Language Learner education given the high number of limited English proficient students who are also low-income… When I found out I could be a bilingual teacher [with TFA], I was completely sold.

Dual Education Policy Ph.D/MPA program, Year 1
(B.A., ’10 History & Spanish, Washington & Lee University; M.Ed., ’12 Education, Southern Methodist University)

Rebecca taught at an elementary school in the Pleasant Grove neighborhood of Dallas, Texas.

One Thing She Will Always Remember

“Schools sometimes lose the big picture focus—students’ lifetime achievement—in the process of meeting AYP [annual yearly progress] and making scores look good.”

Her Inspiration

“I knew I wanted to pursue education policy for low-income students before, but only after three years in a high-poverty school was I able to recognize specific problems that need to be rectified. Most important, I met my students. No matter where my career takes me, they are my motivation.”

Why Curry?

“My professors at Washington & Lee couldn’t say enough about the Curry School and suggested I get in touch with some of the professors in the Ed Policy department. The department’s mission and personal attention to its doctoral students convinced me right away.”