SEP Employment Opportunities
Reflection - Learning - Innovation - Leadership - Excellence
At SEP, our converging goal is to utilize curriculum and instruction as a medium for fostering a lifelong passion for learning and leadership in our young scholars. We recognize that teaching is largely a system of thinking that requires knowing your learners; knowing your content and how to structure content in forms that make it accessible to diverse learners; knowing how to elicit and assess student thinking in myriad ways; and knowing how to create a classroom culture that fosters learning.
To that end, we are committed to supporting teacher learning development towards expertise. Each year, we hire a dynamic staff of content experts from representative departments across Grounds at UVa and master teachers that are dedicated to working with gifted learners and excelling in their own teaching practices. All teachers participate in professional development focused on how students learn in relationship to curriculum and instructional design. Our key areas of inquiry include:
- Backwards lesson design with an emphasis on developing solid learning goals
- Developing meaningful learning tasks: discussion structures, model-based reasoning, situational tasks, guided inquiry
- Assessing and understanding the importance of students' prior knowledge, interests, and goals in learning
- Eliciting student thinking: Bringing student thinking to the forefront of instruction & classroom discourse
- Formative assessment: Tapping into your learners' experiences and knowledge and using that to guide/modify instruction.
- Differentiating instruction to better meet the needs of your learners: How do you balance whole class learning needs with individual learning needs?
- Developing solid classroom structures & routines: From reactive to proactive management, From managing student behavior to managing student ideas.
- Teacher identity: Who are you as a teaching professional? How do you fit into a bigger academic culture?
- In the SEP teaching experience, on-going feedback and opportunities for analysis, reflection, and modification of ideas are designed to move teachers forward in navigating the complexities of the classroom. We recognize that a “one-size-fits-all” professional development approach is largely ineffective. To that end, teachers work in multiple instructional arrangements (whole group to small groups to individual work with our academic coordinator) to develop a meaningful and appropriate curriculum for this population of students.
- In the Summer program, teachers will have an opportunity to be a part of a professional learning community and explore pedagogical ideas in more depth and complexity.
Non-UVA students and employees my apply through firstname.lastname@example.org. UVA students should use the links below to apply.
All positions are open to UVa students AND to non-students. Applications for UVA students for the Saturday Teaching positions can be found here. If you are not a student, please visit email@example.com and look for the job listing "Saturday Lead Teacher".
All positions are open to UVa students AND to non-students. Applications for UVA students for the Saturday Teaching Assistant position can found can be found here. If you are not a student, please visit firstname.lastname@example.org and look for the job listing “Enrichment Classroom Assistant, SEP”. The Saturday Program Teaching Assistant Application will be posted August 31, 2018.
All positions are open to UVa students AND to non-students or students at other universities. Summer Teacher position applications will be posted by September 15, 2018. Download application form here.
If you are not a UVa student, please visit email@example.com and look for the job listing “Summer Enrichment Program Lead Teacher."
All positions are open to UVa students AND to non-students or students at other universities. Summer SEP Counselor position applications will be posted on November 28, 2018. If you are not a UVa student, please visit firstname.lastname@example.org and look for the job listing “Summer Enrichment Program Counselor." If you are a UVa student, please print the Counselor Recommendation Form (below) to supplement your application on jobs.virginia.edu