McGuffey Reading Clinical Services offers virtual reading programs to provide intervention for students in Kindergarten through Middle School. Students can build their skills and confidence in a fun, supportive online environment.
Fall Dates: September 21 – November 20, 2020
Our reading programs are designed for school-age children in need of intervention to either maintain their literacy skills or work to build their literacy skills. Our upcoming fall program is a virtual 9-week intervention with 2 sessions per week. This program is designed to meet the needs, and build on the strengths, of students in Rising First through Middle School grades who may have struggled along their literacy path.
- Students work one-on-one with teachers to develop an instructional program to best meet the needs of their students.
- Our lessons follow a structured literacy format and can include the following components based on individual needs: 1) systematic teaching of phonemic awareness, phonics/decoding, and spelling to build word recognition; 2) targeted fluency instruction to build reading rate and prosody; 3) advanced decoding and spelling examining syllables and meaning parts (including affixes and word roots); 4) comprehension instruction to include both background knowledge/vocabulary and strategy use; and 5) writing instruction for application and/or for supporting comprehension.
- All instructional activities are based on student assessed needs and strengths.
- Tutoring will occur twice per week and each session lasts an average of 45 minutes.
- The program begins on September 21 and ends on November 20.
- Families will have day and time options to choose from.
- Tutoring will take place over Zoom; students need a device to access the internet as well as a stable connection. No special software is required.
- Although each student will work independently with their teacher, an adult should be available in the home during each session.
- Download, print and complete the Reading Program Registration Form. If your child has not participated in McGuffey programming within the past year, we also request that you submit the School Form which should be completed by the child’s teacher.
- Submit both the completed Registration Form and School Form by mail or fax as found on the form by September 14, you may email it to Annette Goodson at her secure account: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The $525 fee should be paid in full by September 21. A check can be made out to McGuffey Reading Clinical Services and mailed to the Sheila C. Johnson Center. Or, you may call 434-924-7034 and select Option 1 to pay by credit or debit card.
- We are able to offer some financial assistance for our reading programs. To be considered, you must submit a current 1040 along with your registration form. Assistance depends on available funding and family need.
For questions about fees or registration forms please contact McGuffey Reading Clinical Services at 434-924-9349 or the Sheila Johnson Center at 434-924-7034. You may also email Lauren Hauser, McGuffey Clinician: email@example.com