Summer Literacy Programs
The McGuffey Reading Center offers a variety of summer camp/program options to local families. Our Summer Reading Program provides intervention for students in Kindergarten through Middle School. Our Summer Reading Camps provide enrichment for students from Age 4 though Rising 2nd Grade. Both options allow students to build their skills and confidence in a fun, supportive environment.
Summer 2020 Schedule
Summer Reading Program: July 6 to 24 (9 to 11, M-F)
PreKindergarten Camp for 4-Year Olds: July 6 to July 17 (9 to 12, M-F)
PreKindergarten Camp for Rising Kindergartners: July 6 to July 17 (9 to 12, M-F)
Primary Reading Camp (Rising 1st and 2nd Graders): July 6 to July 17 (1 to 4, M-F)
Summer Reading Program
McGuffey's Summer Reading Program is designed for school-age children in need of intervention during the summer break to either maintain their literacy skills or work to build their literacy skills. The Program is an intensive 3-week intervention from July 6-24. The students attending the 3-week Summer Reading Program are in grades Kindergarten through Middle School. The Program is designed to meet the needs, and build on the strengths, of students who may have struggled along their literacy path.
- Students work closely with McGuffey clinicians to develop an intensive instructional program to best meets the needs of their students.
- Our lessons typically include: 1) systematic teaching of phonemic awareness, phonics/decoding, and spelling to build word recognition; 2) targeted fluency instruction to build reading rate and prosody; 3) comprehension instruction to include both background knowledge/vocabulary and strategy use; and 4) writing instruction, which is woven throughout the lesson.
- All instructional activities are based on student assessed needs and strengths.
- Complete the Summer Reading Program Registration Form linked below. Pages 1-4 are to be completed by the parent or guardian. Pages 5-6, the School Form, are to be completed by the child's teacher.
- Submit both the completed Registration Form and School Form by mail or fax, or you may drop it off in person at the Sheila Johnson Center. This contact info is on the form itself. Your child cannot be considered for acceptance until we have both of these forms.
- You will be contacted by McGuffey to confirm your child's acceptance into the Program. At that time, a non-refundable deposit of $250 will be requested.
To ensure that a small group is a good fit for your child, we rely on two sources of information.
- The School Form completed by the child's teacher-- please ensure that it is filled out completely.
- An assessment appointment with a McGuffey graduate clinician. These testing appointments will be on June 30 for summer 2020. You will be contacted in June to schedule your appointment time slot. Appointments take approximately 45 minutes.
Payment and Fees
The full cost of the Summer Reading Program is $525. A non-refundable deposit of $250 is due upon acceptance into the Program. The remaining balance of $275 is due by June 1. You can submit payment by check made out to the University of Virginia and mailed to or dropped off at the Sheila Johnson Center. You can also call the Sheila Johnson Center to pay by credit card. All contact info is on the registration form.
We are able to offer financial assistance for the Summer Reading Program. To be considered, you must submit a current 1040 (Tax Year 2019) along with your registration form. Assistance depends on available funding and family need.
For questions about fees or registration forms please contact the McGuffey Reading Center 434-924-9349 or the Sheila Johnson Center 434-924-7034. Please also see information in the Program Handbook, linked below.
Summer Reading Camps
The Center also offers three Summer Reading Camps designed to provide a literacy enrichment experience for prekindergarten and primary grade children. These Camps have been created to offer families a fun summer camp experience that has an academic/literacy slant. All camps run for two full weeks from July 6 to July 17. Please note: 1) Families seeking a more intensive and individualized experience should inquire about the 3-week Summer Reading Program and 2) Financial assistance is not available for these camps.
- The 4-Year Old Camp is designed for 4-year olds from families seeking a camp designed to boost foundational literacy skills in a fun environment. (M-F, 9-12)
- The Rising Kindergarten Camp is designed for 5-year olds getting ready to enter Kindergarten in the fall of 2018 to address beginning reading/writing skills. The session will also provide children with a 'first glimpse' into the format of the language arts block of the elementary classroom. (M-F, 9-12)
- The Primary Camp is designed for students who finished Kindergarten (aka rising First Grade) and First Grade (aka rising Second Grade) to further boost their literacy skills. This Camp provides students with ample opportunities for fun enrichment activities geared towards building reading fluency, reading comprehension, and creative writing. (M-F, 1-4)
- Complete the Summer Literacy Camps Registration Form linked below.
- Submit the form and non-refundable $150 deposit by mail or drop it off in person at the Sheila Johnson Center.
- You will be contacted by McGuffey to confirm your child's registration.
Payment and Fees
The full cost of the Summer Reading Camp is $300 for two weeks. A non-refundable deposit of $150 is due at registration. The remaining balance is due by June 1. You can submit payment by check made out to the University of Virginia and mailed to or dropped off at the Sheila Johnson Center. You can also call the Sheila Johnson Center to pay by credit card. All contact info is on the registration form.
For questions about fees or registration forms please contact the McGuffey Reading Center 434-924-9349 or the Sheila Johnson Center 434-924-7034. Please also see information in the Camp Handbook, linked below.
Download registration forms for Summer 2020:
Download handbooks for summer camps/program: