Summer Literacy Programs
For Summer 2020, McGuffey Reading Clinical Services is offering a virtual Summer Reading Program to provide intervention for students in Kindergarten through Middle School. Students can build their skills and confidence in a fun, supportive online environment.
Summer 2020 Dates: June 22 - July 31
McGuffey's Summer Reading Program is designed for school-age children in need of intervention during the summer break to either maintain their literacy skills or work to build their literacy skills. The Program is an intensive, virtual 6-week intervention with 3 sessions per week. The students attending the 6-week Summer Reading Program are in grades Kindergarten through Middle School. The Program is designed to meet the needs, and build on the strengths, of students who may have struggled along their literacy path.
- Using an intensive intervention lesson, students work one-on-one with teachers to develop an intensive instructional program to best meet the needs of their students.
- Our lessons follow a structured literacy format and can include the following components based on individual needs: 1) systematic teaching of phonemic awareness, phonics/decoding, and spelling to build word recognition; 2) targeted fluency instruction to build reading rate and prosody; 3) advanced decoding and spelling examining syllables and meaning parts (including affixes and word roots); 4) comprehension instruction to include both background knowledge/vocabulary and strategy use; and 5) writing instruction for application and/or for supporting comprehension.
- All instructional activities are based on student assessed needs and strengths.
- Tutoring will occur 3 times per week and each session lasts an average of 45 minutes.
- The program begins on June 22 and ends on July 31.
- Families will have day and time options to choose from.
- Tutoring will take place over Zoom; students need a device to access the internet as well as a stable connection. No special software is required.
- Although each student will work independently with their teacher, an adult should be available in the home during each session.
- Download, print and complete the Summer Reading Program Registration Form. Pages 1-4 are to be completed by the parent or guardian. Pages 5-6, the School Form, are to be completed by the child's teacher (if at all possible).
- Submit both the completed Registration Form and School Form by mail or fax as found on the form by June 8, or you may email it to Annette Goodson at her secure account: email@example.com.
- The $525 fee should be paid in full by June 22. A check can be made out to McGuffey Reading Clinical Services and mailed to the Sheila C. Johnson Center. Or, you may call 434-924-7034 and select Option 1 to pay by credit or debit card.
- We are able to offer some financial assistance for the Summer Reading Program. To be considered, you must submit a current 1040 (Tax Year 2019) along with your registration form. Assistance depends on available funding and family need.
For questions about fees or registration forms please contact McGuffey Reading Clinical Services at 434-924-9349 or the Sheila Johnson Center at 434-924-7034. You may also email Lauren Hauser, McGuffey Clinician: firstname.lastname@example.org